Friday, December 30, 2011

Progress...

It's been three weeks since I stopped to post here, but I haven't forgotten you folks (yes, all two of you)! Work has been crazy, holidays have come and gone, and I'm exhausted. But I've found a day or two to work on materials for my future cabin. A couple weeks ago I visited a friend who's cutting some pine trees to make room for a new house that he and his wife are building. He offered them to me for nothing, so we spent a couple days cutting, limbing, and loading them on a trailer to haul. Got several fantastic 16-25 foot logs out of the deal, and several more are laying on the ground waiting to be picked up...as soon as this nasty, muddy winter rain lets up.

Another stroke of luck came of that visit. The guy's parents heard what I want to do (build log structures) and thought it would be fun to build a small (10X10) cabin for their grandson. They have several huge old longleaf pine on the property, and once cut and split lengthwise they'll make fine cabin logs. Whatever's left of them after I build it is mine to keep, along with enough other timber to equal my labor cost. I like that deal.

Been working for another friend clearing out her yard. There are 20 or so old, fairly straight popcorn trees laying down; think I'll build a doghouse for our pooch or a rough little shed from those. Her neighbor, a very nice older lady, offered me free run of her six acres to cut whatever I pleased for firewood or logs in return for a little brush clearing. I like that deal, too! She's got some nice, straight trees on the back side of her place, so I might have to get at it.

To accomplish all this good stuff, I had to have a new chainsaw. The old Poulan Pro was great while it lasted, and it still works, but it vibrates a lot and just isn't as powerful as I wanted. After selling a couple of things, I made enough money to buy a brand new Stihl Farmboss with a 50cc engine and 18'' bar. It's a monster on a fresh, green log. I've gotten spoiled. Runs clean, doesn't vibrate, and knifes through anything I touch. Nice!

I'm calling a gentleman today about a few lighter'd blocks for the foundation of my little cabin at home. If what he has is the proper size and price, that's what I intend to use. If not, then concrete block piers it is. Simple, cheap, and while not the best to look at...it gets the job done. So far, it looks like it will be white oak for my two sill logs (the longest logs running down the left and right sides of the cabin), oak floor joists, pine and poplar for the wall logs, rafters, and tie beams, and whatever else is handy for the porch. If I get enough pine from my friend's place, though, everything save the sills and joists will be pine. It's a matter of supply, you know?


At any rate, I'll be posting pictures of my growing log pile and the foundation, once I've got things started. Till then--God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Hey man my name is Ryan and I live in north mississippi. I have collected a good many tools for chewing specifically and was wondering if you where still experimenting with it since you haven't posted in a while. Anyway if you are comment back I would love to meet up with someone who has some experience in the trade as I have yet to meet anyone who knows anything about hewing or older wood crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ryan, how's it going? I got busy with life and neglected the blog for ages. I'm sure you know how that goes. I'm still hewing and building with logs and timber, yes. At the moment, working on a Norwegian trestle-frame, or Grindbygg, style barn for my workshop. Finding anyone else that does this sort of thing is nearly impossible. I've yet to encounter another human being who can and does swing a broadaxe regularly, so we should definitely get together sometime and make the chips fly. Shoot me an email sometime at powerfitnessone@gmail.com and we'll put our heads together.

      Delete